martes, 10 de marzo de 2009

11 de marzo

This song by La Oreja de Van Gogh is a tribute to those killed and injured in the terrorist attack in Madrid on March 11, 2004. On the surface it is just a love song, but when you know the significance of the date, the song changes completely. I used the song in class with the following two videos to make the point to my students that they must understand the title of the work they are reading and that context is essential to really understanding a work of literature or art.

I handed out the lyrics of the song and had them listen to it and watch the first video, which is of Leire Martínez
singing. We've been working on narrating in the past, so after they heard the song, I had them work in groups to write a summary of the song in the past. I asked them about the title, but none of them knew the significance. I didn't explain, but instead showed the second video which is the song with photos of the attacks and the reaction in Spain. The students were very moved by the song, and clearly understood the point that I was trying to make.

The lyrics follow the second link.


11-M video de Leire Martínez


11-M video con fotos There are a few spelling errors in the text that introduces this video (echamos/hechamos, haya/halla), I normally wouldn't use a video with errors in class, but the images are well-chosen and include how the country came together afterward. There are similiar videos available, but this one served my purposes best.


11 de marzo (jueves) - La Oreja de Van Gogh

Si fuera más guapa y un poco más lista,
si fuera especial, si fuera de revista,
tendría el valor de cruzar el vagón
y preguntarte quién eres.

Te sientas enfrente y ni te imaginas
que llevo por ti mi falda más bonita.
Y al verte lanzar un bostezo al cristal
se inundan mis pupilas.

De pronto me miras. Te miro y suspiras.
Yo cierro los ojos. Tú apartas la vista.
Apenas respiro, me hago pequeñita
y me pongo a temblar.

Y así pasan los días, de lunes a viernes,
como las golondrinas del poema de Bécquer.
De estación a estación,
enfrente tú y yo,
va y viene el silencio.

De pronto me miras. Te miro y suspiras.
Yo cierro los ojos. Tú apartas la vista.
Apenas respiro, me hago pequeñita
y me pongo a temblar.

Y entonces ocurre, despiertan mis labios
pronuncian tu nombre tartamudeando.
Supongo que piensas “qué chica más tonta,”
y me quiero morir.

Pero el tiempo se para y te acercas diciendo,
“Yo no te conozco y ya te echaba de menos.
Cada mañana rechazo el directo
y elijo este tren.”

Y ya estamos llegando. Mi vida ha cambiado
un día especial este once de marzo.
Me tomas la mano, llegamos a un túnel
que apaga la luz.

Te encuentro la cara, gracias a mis manos.
Me vuelvo valiente y te beso en los labios.
Dices que me quieres y yo te regalo
el último soplo de mi corazón.

No hay comentarios.: